There are several materials that can be used to absorb spilled oil, including:
- Absorbent pads and mats: These are specially designed to soak up oil and can be used on both land and water.
- Sorbent booms: These are long tubes filled with absorbent material that can be placed around the spill to contain and absorb it.
- Clay or kitty litter: These can be effective in absorbing small spills on land, but they should not be used on water.
- Hay or straw: These can be used to absorb oil on land, but they may not be as effective as other materials.
- Biodegradable absorbents: These are made from natural materials such as corn cobs, sawdust, or coconut husks, and can be effective in absorbing oil.
The choice of material will depend on the size and location of the spill, as well as any specific regulations that may apply. It is important to use the appropriate material to ensure that the spill is contained and cleaned up safely and effectively.